XXVII International Association for Caribbean Archaeology
St. Croix, US Virgin Islands July 23-29, 2017
Please note that the deadline for Abstracts has been extended to March 31, 2017.
Abstracts deadline March 1, 2017 Paper submission deadline May 30, 2017
The 2017 IACA/AIAC Organization Committee hereby invites archaeologists, researchers, and the general public interested in Caribbean Archaeology, to send proposals of presentations for inclusion in the 2017 Congress program. Presentations can be given in English, French, or Spanish. All presenters must also complete the registration form and be a member of IACA.
Each presentation must be an original work that reflects recent research related to Caribbean archaeology and is relevant to one of the themes proposed by the committee. Oral presentations will be given during organized sessions from July 24 to 28. Posters will be exhibited from July 24 to 28 in the IACA/AIAC venue during session hours for informal browsing and with opportunities for individual discussion with poster authors. Papers will be sorted into appropriate thematic sessions based on number and topic of submissions.
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Abstracts for oral and poster presentations should be sent in English, Spanish or French to the Organizing Committee electronically to the following email address: IACA2017STX@gmail.com. Abstracts should be no longer than 250 words. Abstracts are due 1 March 2017. The complete text of all oral presentations should be sent to the Organizing committee by May 30, 2017, in order to prepare for simultaneous interpretation. Papers will be assigned to sessions by the organizing committee. Sessions may include more than one theme. Presenters may ask to have a session of papers if they jointly submit the papers for the full session.
Abstracts must include the following Information:
– Paper title
– Author(s) and institutional affiliation (if applicable)
– Type of presentation: oral or poster presentation
– Suggested theme (decisions relative to the organization of the papers in the program will be taken by the organizing committee)
– Language in which the presentation will be given
When submitting the abstract or the presentation text, authors should send a curriculum vitae (CV) summarizing their academic experience, education, commitment to Caribbean archaeology, and institutional affiliation, if applicable.
Paper Presentation Guidelines:
- Paper presentations are to be no longer than 15 minutes.
- The complete text of the paper presentation must be emailed in the language it will be read prior to May 30, 2017, in order to make simultaneous translation possible.
- Only authors or coauthors can read their presentations during the congress. Proxies will not be allowed to read presentations, and authors may only be a primary author on one presentation.
- Standard audiovisual equipment will be onsite for presenters. This will consist of a laptop, screen and laser pointer. If you have additional audiovisual needs, please submit a request with your abstract for consideration.
Poster Presentations Guidelines:
- Use of the ‘Poster format’ is allowed for your presentation when your material can easily be communicated visually.
- Text should be limited to brief statements.
- Posters should be of professional quality and be clearly legible from distance of four feet.
- Graphic materials should be printed to minimum size of 3’ x 4’ and a maximum of 4’x 8′.
- Authors may only be a primary author on one presentation.
Suggested themes for this conference are:
– Environmental Archaeology
– Subsistence Practices, Paleoethnobotany, and Zooarchaeology
– Mobility, Migration, and Interaction
– Ideology and Iconography
– Heritage Management
– General Ceramic Age
– Pre-Arawak/Archaic Age
– Historical Archaeology
– Warfare and Violence
– Remote Sensing, GIS, and Drone Technology
– Archaeology of Enslavement
– Underwater Archaeology
– Climate change
Please note that IACA membership is required in order to present at the conference. Please complete a registration form on the Registration page of this website.